LSB compatible Samba ?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Jul 1 13:52:24 GMT 2001

[updated]

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Well - version 1.0 of LSB has finally been released (at :
>
> http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/book1.html
>
> so in the spirit of standardization, I'd be very happy
> to include patches to the packaging/ area of Samba to
> create an LSB complient package (probably called :
> lsb-samba.org-samba to match the spec) as soon as possible.
>
> It'd be great to get this in 2.2.1, but I'm not going to
> hold off shipping for it....

OK, here goes:

    1. Add an "lsb-samba" spec file for RPM (RPM is the only
       supported packager format), and we can add an EPM list
       file that can generate it, too...

       The "lsb-samba" package needs to depend on "lsb".

       The "samba" name must be registered with the LANANA
       body (link points to a page that says nothing is
       up yet, tho)

    2. Configure the source with:

       ./configure --with-fhs --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \
            --sharedstatedir=/var/opt/ --datadir=/usr/share \
            --with-configdir=/etc/samba \
            --with-swatdir=/usr/share/samba/swat

       (SAMBA is exempt from the FHS /usr/opt, /etc/opt, and /var/opt
       nonsense IIRC)

    3. Minor changes to the SAMBA init script (I think the only
       missing option is force-reload) and the return values.
       Also, there is actually a script to install the specified
       init script...

I'll work on generating these changes on Monday...

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com