ACLs on Digital Unix

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jul 25 19:31:21 GMT 2001

Hallo,

is anyone working on ACLs for OSF1/TruUnix systems, perhaps someone from
Compaq?

Back in february I gave it a try but stumbled already at the first used
function (acl_get_entry, see below). We now checked with most recent SAMBA_2_2
CVS and osf1-5.1 - nothing really changed.

The funny thing is that OSF1 claims to have POSIX ACLs and even quotes a later
(?) draft of the POSIX (dumped) standard. Does anyone know, if this task is
feasible for non ACL-professionals (if there isn't already a project on ACLs
on OSF1)?

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 02:06:30PM +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 11:03:24PM +0100, Jean Francois Micouleau wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > I understand you are working on ACLs. Will OSF1 be supported in 2.2?
> > > Can't promise miracles, but if you point me to the relevant pieces in
> > > SAMBA_2_2, I could try to help adding support for OSF1 (probably it will
> > > be only a variant of Sun's ACLs).
> > Axel, look in smbd/posix_acl.c and at http://acl.bestbits.at for the linux
> > acl patch. It should help you.
> > Jeremy, this guy is really cool. I helped him setup a pdc for his w2k
> > clients and he wants to help us now.
> JF, you make me blush. [...]
> I had a look at ACLs for OSF1/Tru64, and want to give some first remarks:
> a) is any work upon ACLs welcome for before 2.2. release? Or is the feature
>    freeze excluding any such work?
> b) OSF1 uses -lpacl instead of -lacl. Is HAVE_LIBACL indended to used
>    somewhere? Otherwise the configure.in change would be minimal.
> c) More trouble in configure.in: The test on acl_get_entry already fails,
>    because OSF1's version only takes one argument ...
> I'll subscribe to samba-technical. The last comments would have been best
> given there, I guess.

Regards, Axel.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de