failing LOCK1 smbtorture test

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Wed Jul 25 19:46:52 GMT 2001

Thanks Jeremy,
I thought that might be the case, as I looked thru the code, I couldn't
find anywhere that would ensure consistency between smbds.  One thing that I
found odd was
that I was able to consistently make LOCK1-4 tests pass IF I added the
MAP_FIXED flag to the mmap call in tdb_mmap. I still don't understand
why that is making a difference, other than it doesnt allow mmap to
'choose' where to put the memory, like a value of 0 does when you don't
have MAP_FIXED specified.

On the topic of syncing up everyone to revert to read/write when ANY
tdb_mmap call fails, that's a tough one - I wouldn't suppose we would
want to go back and reinstitute a shared memory segment at this point.
perhaps we could use a hidden global and institute an lp_ method
to set that to False in tdb_mmap if it fails, and then have tdb_read
and tdb_write check that global in addition to the (map->ptr)test.
We could also check it in tdb_mmap right before the call to mmap,
and just skip the mmap if anyone has set it to False.
If we didn't hide it (actually added it to loadparm.c, etc) we could
even use it to force non-use of mmap on systems that DO have mmap
capability for debugging purposes...

I suppose we would have to notify the smbd parent somehow so that
he could notify the current smbd processes to reread the smb.conf file...

it would be a one time perf hit; we would only set the global the first
time mmap failed, since we check the global before calling mmap;  new
smbd's would know it's false at startup; current smbds would take a onetime
hit to reread the smb.conf file.

But I'm sure there's a much better way to do this....
Please let me know what you decide, and thanks so much for clarifying this
for me.

Don