Samba 2.0.7 and FHS conventions

Dave O'Neill doneill at linuxcare.com
Fri Jan 26 19:03:54 GMT 2001

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, David Lee wrote:

> But could I suggest that the detail be more closely related to the GNU
> variables for this purpose?  For instance:
> >    - SBINDIR becomes ${exec_prefix}/sbin
> shouldn't that be ${sbindir}
> >    - VARDIR becomes /var
> shouldn't that be ${localstatedir}
> >    - configfiles go under /etc
> shouldn't that be ${sysconfdir}
> >    - LOCKDIR becomes $(VARDIR)/state/samba/locks  (for now... see below)
> shouldn't that be under ${localstatedir}

Yes.  If you take a look at the patchfile, you'll see that the GNU-isms
are used.  Some of it's a bit convoluted in order to preserve existing
behaviour, though.

> >    - PRIVATEDIR becomes $(VARDIR)/state/samba/private
> shouldn't that be under ${datadir} (or ${localstatedir} )

I've put it under ${localstatedir}, simply because the FHS and autoconf
both recommend that ${datadir} should contain read-only data.

> >    - printers.def and codepages directory go under ${prefix}/share/samba
> shouldn't that be ${datadir}/samba
> >    - SWAT html and images go under ${prefix}/share/swat
> shouldn't that be ${datadir}/swat

When using the --enable-fhs switch, yes.  But the fallback case requires
that they not both be under a common directory, as SWATDIR is historically
under  ${prefix}/swat, while the data files are under ${prefix}/lib.

> I realise that GNU and FHS might not be consistent with each other in
> detail, but we are basically building this in a GNU environment.  So we
> should follow the GNU flexibility in general.
>
> Then perhaps we need:
>    --enable-compliance={fhs|gnu}
>
> The "gnu" variant would allow us to take GNU defaults (and allow
> GNU-like override flexibility).

I've tried to preserve GNU-style overriding, though maintaining the
existing behaviour as the default was a priority.  I'm not an autoconf
expert by any means, though, so if someone more familiar with autoconf can
find cleaner ways to have full override capability while keeping existing
semantics, please do.

Dave
--
Dave O'Neill,    Senior Linux Consultant,     Linuxcare, Inc.
desk: (613) 562-9949 fax: (613) 562-9700 cell: (613) 223-0219