Samba 2.0.7 and FHS conventions

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Jan 26 19:55:03 GMT 2001

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, David Lee wrote:

> I like the general idea, to ease introduction of this.

> But could I suggest that the detail be more closely related to the GNU
> variables for this purpose?  For instance:

> >    - SBINDIR becomes ${exec_prefix}/sbin
> shouldn't that be ${sbindir}

[etc]

Agreed.  The big issue here is not whether Samba uses a private directory
(/usr/local/samba) or scatters its files throughout the root directory; that
can always be fixed with --prefix.  The issue is that Samba currently doesn't
sanely map its installed files to the respective autoconf directory variables.
E.g., config files are stored in $(LIBDIR) rather than ${sysconfdir}, which
makes it difficult to send your config files to a different directory from the
shared libraries... definitely an issue now that libsmbclient is in progress.

> Then perhaps we need:
>    --enable-compliance={fhs|gnu}

> The "gnu" variant would allow us to take GNU defaults (and allow
> GNU-like override flexibility).

> The "fhs" option would adjust the GNU-set defaults for FHS compliance
> (again allowing individual override).

> I suspect this would gain us great flexibility with three main options
> (1) "traditional" Samba  (2) GNU flavour  (3) FHS flavour.

FHS flavor is really a subset of 'GNU' flavor, in that they share common
definitions for the /types/ of directories needed and disagree only in the
default locations assigned to each directory.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer