GTK+ App to list workgroups, shares, servers, directories, etc

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sun Jan 7 20:50:01 GMT 2001

At 10:06 PM 1/7/01 +0100, Jelmer Feenstra wrote:
>On Sunday 07 January 2001 20:47, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>
>> I am not planning on touching kioslave. All I need is enough to check that
>> things are working OK.
>
>I see, there's no-one at caldera picking this up ? In that case I'm going to
>take a look at the existing kioslave present in the kde2 sources.

Someone is working on something, but I am not sure I am allowed to say what?

>> That is a remenant of my testing. You do not need my workgroup in there,
>> and I will probably remove the workgroup param from smbc_init, as it is not
>> needed at that point. I should also probably cache credential info in
>> testsmbc ...
>
>I understand. Has there already been made a decision about whether or not a
>.smb/smb.conf file is going to be used with the library ?

The code currently reads $HOME/.smb/smb.conf, but I intend to initiate some
discussion on this today.

>On a different note : I've been trying connecting to some hosts on my
>network, reading/stat'ing files, browsing shares/directories... I noticed I
>can't get the sharelisting of a NT5 system :( It works ok with normal
>win98/linux smb servers, however NT5 seems to be promblematic. I recall NT5
>systems really want 'guest' as the username in order to get a sharelisting,
>but it didn't work out for me. Perhaps you can take a look at this ?
>Smbclient -L does return the listing properly, but I couldn't figure out
>where in your code things go wrong.

Yes, I need to test against NT to ensure that things work OK. I think what
happens is that it tries with NULL credentials, and if that fails, it calls
the auth_fn defined in smbc_init, but I hard coded the answers to test and
test, which will probably not work on your system.

I need to implement a dialog box to get the username and password when
authentication is required.

>Another bug (?) I encountered is the fact that stat'ing files on some
systems
>returned bad c/m/a-time information (Thu Jan  1 01:00:00 1970), while
>smbclient does list the dates correctly.

Hmmm, OK, will have to look at that. Is it possible to get me:

1. A capture of the network traffic
2. A listing of the answers?

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Jelmer Feenstra