GTK+ App to list workgroups, shares, servers, directories, etc

Jelmer Feenstra spark at dds.nl
Sun Jan 7 23:26:12 GMT 2001

On Sunday 07 January 2001 21:50, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> >I see, there's no-one at caldera picking this up ? In that case I'm going
> > to take a look at the existing kioslave present in the kde2 sources.
>
> Someone is working on something, but I am not sure I am allowed to say
> what?

Heh, ok :)

> >On a different note : I've been trying connecting to some hosts on my
> >network, reading/stat'ing files, browsing shares/directories... I noticed
> > I can't get the sharelisting of a NT5 system :( It works ok with normal
> > win98/linux smb servers, however NT5 seems to be promblematic. I recall
> > NT5 systems really want 'guest' as the username in order to get a
> > sharelisting, but it didn't work out for me. Perhaps you can take a look
> > at this ? Smbclient -L does return the listing properly, but I couldn't
> > figure out where in your code things go wrong.
>
> Yes, I need to test against NT to ensure that things work OK. I think what
> happens is that it tries with NULL credentials, and if that fails, it calls
> the auth_fn defined in smbc_init, but I hard coded the answers to test and
> test, which will probably not work on your system.

I don't think it uses test/test, I am not using tree.c but just wrote some
code myself that uses your library. The problem is (I'm afraid) not just a
matter of username/password...

> I need to implement a dialog box to get the username and password when
> authentication is required.

> >Another bug (?) I encountered is the fact that stat'ing files on some
> > systems
> >returned bad c/m/a-time information (Thu Jan  1 01:00:00 1970), while
> >smbclient does list the dates correctly.
>
> Hmmm, OK, will have to look at that. Is it possible to get me:
>
> 1. A capture of the network traffic
> 2. A listing of the answers?

Hmm I could get you a capture of the network traffic I get, but I don't think
that's going to help a lot. Let me look at when it exactly goes wrong first
and rule out some situations. I don't exactly know what you mean by 'A
listing of answers' and I don't think I know how to get you one :)

What could be a big help for me, is a little hint on where I can find the
debugging output of your library when it's initialized with the proper
debuglevel... Right now I don't actually know where to look :)

Thanks,

Jelmer Feenstra