FW: IP-resolve issues.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Thu Jan 4 02:40:03 GMT 2001

> sorry your web page (DE-mirror) still mentioned the samba-bugs mail address,
> but now i am forced to sent it to the tech "department"
> dierectly. I must add, i am not subscirbed to that list.
>
> I am using latest SuSE Linux (7.x)

The message should probably go to samba at samba.org.
Also, you did not send along and error message output.

In any case... If you are trying to connect to the server using only an
IP address, then the client will not know the server's NetBIOS name.  In
that case, it will try connecting to the "*SMBSERVER" name, but W/9x does
not support this special name (95 doesn't, not sure about 98).

As a result, you will get a "Called Name Not Present" error, or similar.

Instead, do this:

nmblookup -U <ip address> -S \* | fgrep "<20>" | awk '{ print $1 }'

That will return the name you want.

Chris -)-----