libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Wed Jan 3 23:59:48 GMT 2001

> From:	Steve Langasek [SMTP:vorlon at netexpress.net]
>
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:
>
> > Yes but what if your domain is different from your workgroup as is the case
> > for me.
>
> Well, the 'workgroup' string from smb.conf is used for both the workgroup and
> the domain.  AFAIK, under NT you can't be a member of a different workgroup
> than the one associated with your NT domain

	What do you man by "associated with"? I am on a network where the domain
	with which I authenticate is different (meaning the actually name of it is
	different) from the workgroup name my machine registers with WINS.
	Apparently this is a rare arrangement but I believe the reasoning is to break up
	groups by workgroup and then authenticate all users centrally under a
	common domain. Presumably this domain information is retrieved from the
	domain controller when I log in but I don't know the details.

> how is a setting for the default domain useful, other than
> to specify the credentials of the default username?

	It's not. True. It would only be usefull for smbclient(and perhaps smbclient.so).
	But in at least my case a domain parameter would be applicable to all users
	on a system as they too would all authenticate under the same domain. Might
	be a little confusing for people setting up servers but you might call it
	something else.

	Sorry for the broken threads folks. This will really be the last post from work.
	I promise.

	Mike