libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Mon Jan 1 22:45:24 GMT 2001

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> A reasonable concern.  My other suggestion was that the application would
> simply start any browsing operation at the default workgroup level.  This
> is what the network neighborhood does.

> Basically, then, the smb:/// syntax would not be used.  The default values
> would simply be used as starting points.  Eg., when you open an
> application that browses an smb network, the first thing presented would
> be smb://workgroup/ where workgroup is the default as assigned in the
> config file.  If no such default were specified, then the starting point
> would be smb://.

However, one of the advantages of using URL-like syntax is that it allows
integration of SMB file browsing into more general-purpose applications.
Starting browsing operations at the default workgroup level isn't necessarily
appropriate for something like midnight commander, even though it's
reasonable to want to integrate SMB-awareness into such applications.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer