Client for Samba networks

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 18 20:40:03 GMT 2001

Our IBM GINA allowed you to domain logons from NT & Windows 2000 to older
SMB servers (somewhat like a Win9x or OS/2 logon) without the user being
present in the local accounts database.    Apparently this (manufacturing
domain credentials in the undocumented NT way that the local API expect)
was much of the difficulty.   Not an ideal solution since GINAs can not be
easily chained together (although apparently we were able to hack something
together to coexist with the Lotus GINA and the DCE GINA) and not
particularly reusable.   Hopefully this interface is improved/replaced
someday or the lower level API documented.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294