A question of data types

William E Hooper ehooper at princesscruises.com
Tue Dec 18 21:30:02 GMT 2001

I've noticed in the samba source (more so in the 3.0 alpha series) that
some functions are prototyped with one data type (usually an int) but the
actual use is different (in the case of this e-mail uint32).  A specific
example is in rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c where the function
_samr_query_dom_info() calls account_policy_get() and uses a pointer to
uint32 where the function declaration in lib/account_pol.c uses a pointer
to int.  Is there any reason for this mixing of data types?  Or is it
assumed that the uint32 will be typedef'ed to an int?

I'm asking this because I don't know if it will make a difference with the
compiler (in my case gcc 2.95.2pl1).

My system looks like this:

     SCO OpenServer 5.0.4
     SCO Linker and Application Development Libraries ver 5.1.0Ac
     gcc 2.95.2pl1
     samba 3.0 alpha9

Edward Hooper
Princess Cruises