SSL negotiation protosol in CIFS

Michal Trojnara Michal.Trojnara at mirt.net
Thu Aug 23 07:56:30 GMT 2001

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Leaving to one side your misunderstanding of the GPL, there is no SSL
> > negotiation that I know of, and none that is implmented in Samba.

It doesn't look like it is true:

from cli_session_request() function in
samba-2.2.1a/source/libsmb/cliconnect.c:

#ifdef WITH_SSL
    if (CVAL(cli->inbuf,0) == 0x83 && CVAL(cli->inbuf,4) == 0x8e){ /* use
ssl */
        if (!sslutil_fd_is_ssl(cli->fd)){
            if (sslutil_connect(cli->fd) == 0)
                goto retry;
        }
    }
#endif /* WITH_SSL */

What do that magic 0x83 and 0x8e values mean?
I'm pretty sure they're not a part of rfc2246.

Rafal Szczesniak wrote:
> I'm afaid it's rather our misunderstaning of the Michal's
> question. I guess the original intention was to write sth
> (based on samba code and experiences, or not) as the purely
> commercial software (probably close source). I don't
> condemn it, please notice.

You're right.  In fact what I want to do is to create dual-licensed software
(both GPL and commercial).

Best regards,
    Mike