Time-critical problem at Sun: exploding smbd memory usage

Kevin (HxPro) Wheatley hxpro at cinesite.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 08:00:23 GMT 2001

Keith Farrar wrote:

> Nope. Growth occurs without any include statements.
>
> Try the sample smb.conf file (create /var/tmp/smbshare directory), and
> watch the results of polling with "smbclient -L " (11 MB smbd on redhat,
> kernel 2.4.2-2smp).
>
> The smbd process also grows slowly with cycles of 'touch smb.conf; kill
> HUP $pid'.

running 2.2.1a on IRIX appears to behave badly when you touch smb.conf.
Usually it fills up the disks, I think its not limiting itself to the
max log size limit, so far it's only managed to happen during the middle
of the night so I'm not 100% on this. If you don't touch the file then
it runs fine for weeks at a time.

This is on a PDC. I think the running smbds keep writing to the old
rotated logfile smbds created after the 'touch' write to the new file,
this is unconfirmed but certainly the old file continues to grow.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley             | These are the opinions of nobody   |
| Technical Services Manager | and are not shared by my employers |