Time-critical problem at Sun: exploding smbd memory usage

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Tue Aug 21 12:07:55 GMT 2001

Michael E Osborne wrote:
> I don't know if this is related, but we once experienced a massive (10x)
> increase in smbd (2.0.7) size which we eventually tracked down to a problem in
> the smb.conf (a bad include statement) where we were causing the smb.conf to be
> parsed over and over at smbd startup. This was under AIX 4.3.3. Eliminating the
> re-parsing fixed the ballooning.

	The standadrd smb.conf file contains an include
	directive for local-smb.conf, which is usually
	a file which contains just a comemnt...

	I tries touching the smb.conf file and sending a
	HUP to the smbd process, (thanks, Jeremy) while
	watching it with prstat -p 26111, and the size
	headed up to a 	total size of 29MB and an RSS of 27
	over about 80-odd HUPs.

	Exiting and restating smbclient created an smbd
	with a 29/27MB size, so the problem behavior hasn't
	changed.

	Comemnting out the printers and repeating the touch/kill
	loop caused no increase at all over about 500 touch/HUPs.

	There was no effect wit/without the include option.

	Looks like a printers issue, whish was a known problem
	in the 2.0 timeframe.  We had not expected this, as the
	previous tests with 2.0.7, on both Solaris and Cobalt,
	did not show this growth.

--dave
Performance & Engineering Team | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering  |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com