encrypt passwords = yes

Rafal Szczesniak mimir at spin.ict.pwr.wroc.pl
Tue Aug 7 18:12:42 GMT 2001

Hello everybody,

Is it normal that setting "encrypt passwords = yes"
explicitly turns the NT hashes checking on, while leaving
default (no encrypt passwords parameter in smb.conf)
switches to Lanman ?

I've observed the following situation:
Explicitly setting encrypted passwords to "yes" makes smbd
using NT password hash and authentication works fine. When I
comment "encrypted passwords" out, smbd checks password
against Lanman hash and everytime authentication fails
(while I know the password was CORRECT).
smbclient was used to check it at the begin, but later I
reproduced this on WinNT SP3.

Can you explain this ?

waiting for answer,

Rafal 'Mimir' Szczesniak <mimir at spin.ict.pwr.wroc.pl>   |
*BSD, Linux and Samba                                  /