encrypt passwords = yes

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Tue Aug 7 21:28:15 GMT 2001

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Rafal Szczesniak wrote:

> I've observed the following situation:
> Explicitly setting encrypted passwords to "yes" makes smbd
> using NT password hash and authentication works fine. When I
> comment "encrypted passwords" out, smbd checks password
> against Lanman hash and everytime authentication fails

No.  'encrypt passwords = no' checks against /etc/passwd.
My guess is that ytou are using MD5 passwords in /etc/shadow
and didn't enable --with-pam when compiling (or did not
create /etc/pam.d/samba)

cheers, jerry
 www.valinux.com         VA Linux Systems       gcarter_at_valinux.com
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org