Time for showing Printer Information

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Wed Aug 1 18:07:04 GMT 2001

Hansjoerg Maurer wrote:

> I  am not sure, if it is a solaris related Problem.
> When I am opening the  printer queue of one printer on NT,  samba
> queries ALL unix printer attached to the printserver, which takes about
> 30 s
> and then updates the information.

This is probably due to client queries. NT/W2K tends to
enumerate all printers and their queue status on a server
when initially looking at printers.

This should only be done once on the Samba server, then
the print queues will be cached in the tdb, and only
updated periodically.

You can increase time this info is cached by changing the
"lpq cache time" parameter (defaults to 10 seconds).

Jeremy.