TODO list proposal for volunteers

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 29 15:04:36 GMT 2000

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Gerald Carter wrote:

> Simo Sorce wrote:
> >
> > As said in a private mail to Gerald, I may be interested
> > in volunter on the passdb enhancement/redesign.
> > I well know the code in samba 2.0.x and now I'm looking
> > at the code in head also.
> > Is there any plan for this code?
>
> Simo,
>
> We need to re-examine it along side the LDAP work going on.
> My thoughts are that by enabling Samba to use a Windows 2000
> AD compatible schema, this will be the first step in
> plugging Samba into a native Windows 2000 domain.  Of course
> there are other parts as well.
>
> I am planning on starting the thread regarding the
> passdb / groupdb later today with a summary of the
> existing APIs in HEAD and TNG.  We can beat this around
> and decide what is good and what should be changed.

Remember to keep in mind that many systems today use a PAM (Pluggable
Authentication Modules) framework.  It seems vital that we take advantage
of this where possible, and work with it.  We should only fall back on
"roll our solution" for those systems currently lacking PAM.

I'd be interested in following developments in this area.  I have a
feeling we'll be investigating shortly ...

:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcl0tdl            South Road            :