TODO list proposal for volunteers

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Fri Sep 29 18:13:43 GMT 2000

David Lee wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Gerald Carter wrote:
>
> > Simo Sorce wrote:
> > >
> > > As said in a private mail to Gerald, I may be interested
> > > in volunter on the passdb enhancement/redesign.
> > > I well know the code in samba 2.0.x and now I'm looking
> > > at the code in head also.
> > > Is there any plan for this code?
> >
> > Simo,
> >
> > We need to re-examine it along side the LDAP work going on.
> > My thoughts are that by enabling Samba to use a Windows 2000
> > AD compatible schema, this will be the first step in
> > plugging Samba into a native Windows 2000 domain.  Of course
> > there are other parts as well.
> >
> > I am planning on starting the thread regarding the
> > passdb / groupdb later today with a summary of the
> > existing APIs in HEAD and TNG.  We can beat this around
> > and decide what is good and what should be changed.
>
> Remember to keep in mind that many systems today use a PAM (Pluggable
> Authentication Modules) framework.  It seems vital that we take advantage
> of this where possible, and work with it.  We should only fall back on
> "roll our solution" for those systems currently lacking PAM.

I also think PAM is a must to support as it permits more freedom to
choice the authentication system, but as NT Passwords are hashed and not
sent in clear/text it is not so usefull as it could be.

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451