question about documentation

Fredrik Viklund fredrikv at biochem.kth.se
Mon Oct 9 06:13:42 GMT 2000

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote
>Can I bring up the issue of writing docs in
>YODL format again?  Will I be punished openly
>for doing so?  :-)

I tried to restructure the docs about a year ago, before I lost my home
computer and also before "Using Samba" was available. We then wanted to
harmonize the manpages and text files and to add a "Users guide"

As I see it, "Using Samba" has become the users guide, so what basically
remains is to harmonize and maintain the manpages.

For this task, a format that is potent of generating text, html and man
pages would be enough.
Why not POD? Another way that would work is to use a HTML-template and
generate text and manpages from that. I don't know if there is any HTML2MAN
scripts out there, but I would be surprised if there isn't.

We don't need the bells and whistles, so lets keep it as simple as possible.

         /Fredrik