Filesystem question

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Thu Oct 5 17:12:38 GMT 2000

> "Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:
> > > May we address this in Samba ?
> > >

> >"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:
>  While it is tempting, the idea of fixing Windows bugs by adapting
> Samba is
> > something that should be avoided.  If the fix can be used as a
> > general-purpose improvement to Samba then approach it that way.
>
> 	Following up on your latter comment, some caching
> 	of the inodes and directory entries should be (and
> 	is) done by the operating system.  However, if it
> 	is both an expensive operation for the server OS
> 	and a much-repeated operation by the client OS
> 	then we can make an arguement for caching the **right**
> 	thing in Samba.

Right.  Caching much-used information, particularly small bits of
information, makes sense and is something we already do.  Eg. the
Directory Cache and the Mangled Name Cache.  File status and icon
information--particularly if Windows calls for this info frequently
--would be reasonable caching candidates.

Would this be best placed in the VFS layer or perhaps built into Samba
elsewhere?

Chris -)-----