Filesystem question

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Thu Oct 5 16:58:40 GMT 2000

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:
> > May we address this in Samba ?
> >

>"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:
 While it is tempting, the idea of fixing Windows bugs by adapting
Samba is
> something that should be avoided.  If the fix can be used as a
> general-purpose improvement to Samba then approach it that way.

	Following up on your latter comment, some caching
	of the inodes and directory entries should be (and
	is) done by the operating system.  However, if it
	is both
		an expensive operation for the server OS
	and
		a much-repeated operation by the client OS
	then we can make an arguement for caching the **right**
	thing in Samba.

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com