Limit to num of shares?

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 2 16:10:29 GMT 2000

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Beau Kuiper wrote:

> Not by any account. Where I work, we simply have a domain login script
> map their user drives automaticly. Then you simply tell the people
> their files are on the H drive (when you open My computer). We have
> uninterested-user-syndrome where I work too. (they act in an
> uninformed way, not in a stupid way, there is a real difference)
>
> Users tend to perfer consitancy rather than simplicity. the fact that
> H: acts like any other drive makes it much easier to manage for users
> than \\USER\HOMES since \\USER\HOMES doesn't act very much like a
> drive in any programs except a few microsofties programs.

Consistent with what, though - why would they have access to a local
drive? (OK, floppies perhaps, but that should be the exception in most
cases, not the norm.) Virtually all their usage, especially for newbie
users, should be over the network - in which case, \\user\homes would be
perfectly normal.

James.