Limit to num of shares?

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Fri Jun 2 15:57:39 GMT 2000

On Fri, 02 Jun 2000, James Sutherland wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Chris Tooley wrote:

> > > in
> > > network
> > > limit
> > >
> > > You do not need to map share points to use them.
> >
> > That is assuming you don't have an organization with
> > uninterested-user-syndrome (I don't like the stupid-user phrase).
> > Not everyone gets the idea that they are talking to a machine other
> > than their own and don't wish to know.  In this case, explaining:
> >
> > 'Ok, so you type backslash, backslash, ...'
> >
> > is like pulling teeth from a remote site.
>
> You prefer "OK, so you type queue, colon, backslash, ..."? :-)
>
> Telling people their personal files live on "\\user\homes" is a lot easier
> than explaining to them their files are on "H", IMO...

Hi,

Not by any account. Where I work, we simply have a domain login script map
their user drives automaticly. Then you simply tell the people their files are
on the H drive (when you open My computer). We have uninterested-user-syndrome
where I work too. (they act in an uninformed way, not in a stupid way, there is
a real difference)

Users tend to perfer consitancy rather than simplicity. the fact that H: acts
like any other drive makes it much easier to manage for users than \\USER\HOMES
since \\USER\HOMES doesn't act very much like a drive in any programs except a
few microsofties programs.

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
kuiperba at ljbc.wa.edu.au