Limit to num of shares?

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Fri Jun 2 16:23:53 GMT 2000

On Sat, 03 Jun 2000, James Sutherland wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Beau Kuiper wrote:
> >
> > Not by any account. Where I work, we simply have a domain login script
> > map their user drives automaticly. Then you simply tell the people
> > their files are on the H drive (when you open My computer). We have
> > uninterested-user-syndrome where I work too. (they act in an
> > uninformed way, not in a stupid way, there is a real difference)
> >
> > Users tend to perfer consitancy rather than simplicity. the fact that
> > H: acts like any other drive makes it much easier to manage for users
> > than \\USER\HOMES since \\USER\HOMES doesn't act very much like a
> > drive in any programs except a few microsofties programs.
>
> Consistent with what, though - why would they have access to a local
> drive? (OK, floppies perhaps, but that should be the exception in most
> cases, not the norm.) Virtually all their usage, especially for newbie
> users, should be over the network - in which case, \\user\homes would be
> perfectly normal.

We work with win95/some 98 computers, so you cannot exactly (or easily) deny
access to the C drive. Even on NT boxes, it is almost impossible to deny access
to the hard drive (many programs hate it). Most of our users are not newbies
either, they simply don't want to advance any further than getting their work
done. So it is consistant with how people have been using their standalone
computers before for years, including the days of win3.1, and consistant with
how many of the users use their home computers. Very few people have used the
way you suggested above at all in my experience.

BTW, 16 bit programs need to have mapped directories anyway, and we are
running some very old programs.

anyway, we have different sets of users and different prioityies it seems, so
it is probably best to use the way that is easiest on users and easiest on
system admins (short and long term)

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
kuiperba at ljbc.wa.edu.au