Using Samba -- domain logins

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue Jan 4 22:23:09 GMT 2000

Steve Langasek wrote:

> As I understand it, there is nothing in the meaning of
> a Win9x logon which *requires* the machine serving logons
> to be an NT domain controller, even if an NT domain is present.
>
> It seems logical to me that some would want to separate
> out these two functions.  Perhaps distributing the workload?
>
> Or, there's also the fact that Samba doesn't quite work
> as a BDC yet, correct? So being able to serve
> Win9x logons without interfering with the operation of
> an NT domain would be useful.  (If possible.)

This all seems like an accident waiting to happen to me.

<sarcastic voice>
Oh no, another misconfigured Samba server broke a
perfectly nice Windows NT network?!?!  Blah, blah, blah...
</sarcastic voice>

> But a BDC is expected to do more than just validate
> the NT login against the PDC..

Steve,

I know that.  I just think that we have to develop
more parameters later on to mean, "No I really am a BDC!"
This is not an issue of whether or not we can do it, but
whether or not it is a good idea.  I seem to be outvited
on my opinion and so I will hush now. ;)

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )