Using Samba -- domain logins

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Jan 3 16:09:52 GMT 2000

At 09:25 AM 1/5/00 +1100, Gerald Carter wrote:
>Steve Langasek wrote:
>>
>> As I understand it, there is nothing in the meaning of
>> a Win9x logon which *requires* the machine serving logons
>> to be an NT domain controller, even if an NT domain is present.
>>
>> It seems logical to me that some would want to separate
>> out these two functions.  Perhaps distributing the workload?
>>
>> Or, there's also the fact that Samba doesn't quite work
>> as a BDC yet, correct? So being able to serve
>> Win9x logons without interfering with the operation of
>> an NT domain would be useful.  (If possible.)
>
>This all seems like an accident waiting to happen to me.
>
><sarcastic voice>
>Oh no, another misconfigured Samba server broke a
>perfectly nice Windows NT network?!?!  Blah, blah, blah...
></sarcastic voice>
>
>> But a BDC is expected to do more than just validate
>> the NT login against the PDC..
>
>Steve,
>
>I know that.  I just think that we have to develop
>more parameters later on to mean, "No I really am a BDC!"
>This is not an issue of whether or not we can do it, but
>whether or not it is a good idea.  I seem to be outvited
>on my opinion and so I will hush now. ;)

OK, now that I understand that you are talking about "what should be"
rather than "what is now", I tend to agree that we need to split these
things out.

Hmmm, did you mean "outwitted" above :-)

>Cheers,
>jerry
>                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter
>Engineering Network Services                           Auburn University
>jerry at eng.auburn.edu             http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/cartegw
>
>       "...a hundred billion castaways looking for a home."
>                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course