Using Samba -- domain logins

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Jan 4 22:13:52 GMT 2000

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Gerald Carter wrote:

> "domain logons" also controls NT logons.  Can someone give me
> a valid set of circumstances where you would want Samba to
> validate win9x logons and not act as a BDC?

As I understand it, there is nothing in the meaning of a Win9x logon which
*requires* the machine serving logons to be an NT domain controller, even if
an NT domain is present.

It seems logical to me that some would want to separate out these two
functions.  Perhaps distributing the workload?

Or, there's also the fact that Samba doesn't quite work as a BDC yet, correct?
So being able to serve Win9x logons without interfering with the operation of
an NT domain would be useful.  (If possible.)

> In my opinion (at the moment) the two are inseperable.  A Samba
> server (using accounts from a PDC) validating Win9x logons
> should also validate NT client logons (and this is a BDC).

But a BDC is expected to do more than just validate the NT login against the
PDC..

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer