Problems connecting to Samba server running 2.07

Wood, John (Cahners) jwood at manufacturing.net
Tue Dec 5 23:08:23 GMT 2000

Hello!

Please note before reading that I have approx. 6 months
of Samba support experience on a basic/intermediate level
but had never built a Samba server until yesterday.  I
am also reading the O'Reilly book, but have not found information
leading me to resolve this isue.

In a nutshell, while I have a somewhat-basic Samba server running
on a Solaris 2.5.1 box that is located remotely, I am
having problems trying to connect to it.  I can run
testparm to check parameters just fine and can
also run smbclient as well.

However, the NT box I'm trying to connect to the server from is
in a LAN where it uses domains and no workgroups.

Here's the output from running smbclient:

# smbclient -U% -L localhost
doing parameter preferred master = Yes
doing parameter socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
doing parameter guest ok = no
doing parameter admin users = jwood jay min
doing parameter lock directory = /var/opt/samba
doing parameter security = user
doing parameter encrypt passwords = yes
doing parameter smb passwd file = /etc/opt/samba/private/smbpasswd
doing parameter unix password sync = yes
doing parameter domain logons = yes
doing parameter workgroup = businfo
doing parameter netbios name = mmbuild1
doing parameter name resolve order = host bcast
doing parameter log level = 3
doing parameter log file = /var/opt/samba/samba.log
doing parameter max log size = 500
doing parameter debug timestamp = yes
pm_process() returned Yes
added interface ip=216.35.207.149 bcast=216.35.207.159 nmask=255.255.255.240
added interface ip=192.168.1.4 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Client started (version 2.0.7).
resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name localhost<0x20>
Connecting to 127.0.0.1 at port 139
Domain=[BUSINFO] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.7]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        homes          Disk      Home Directories
        jwood          Disk      John Wood's Home directory
        test           Disk      A Test home directory
        jjwood         Disk      Further Testing
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 2.0.7)

        Server               Comment
        MMBUILD1             Samba 2.0.7

        Workgroup            Master
        BUSINFO              MMBUILD1