semaphore weirdness

Tim Potter Tim.Potter at anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 12 05:42:13 GMT 1999

I've just fixed a weird problem with the (birthday (-:) semaphore
under Solaris.  I was getting the infamous "root did not create the
semaphore" message.  The ipcs program shows that the semaphore was
created by root.other:

acsys:/var/samba/logs# ipcs
IPC status from <running system> as of Fri Nov 12 16:25:24 1999
T         ID      KEY        MODE        OWNER    GROUP
s          1   0x00280269 --ra-ra-ra-     root    other

But the check in shmem_sysv checks to see if both the owner and group
of the semaphore are root.root.

Removing the semaphore and running smbd again fixes things as the sem
is now root.root:

acsys:/var/samba/logs# ipcs
IPC status from <running system> as of Fri Nov 12 16:26:06 1999
T         ID      KEY        MODE        OWNER    GROUP
s      65537   0x00280269 --ra-ra-ra-     root     root

Is there any reason why the group of the semaphore needs to be
checked?  Why was the semaphore created with group other in the first
place?

Tim.

--
Tim Potter, System Admin/Programmer              "This could lead to
Advanced Computational Systems CRC, RSISE Bldg      excellence, or