Funnies with Win2K professional RC2 install

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Nov 8 10:16:40 GMT 1999

Hi,

well, this is most confusing.

I installed Win2K Professional RC2 on a machine, put it into a Workgroup
and then tried to browse the network.  It showed me the workgroup,
Sambanet, but would only show me the Win2000 machine in that network.

I could search for other machines, and it would find my Samba server, but
would not allow me to browse the machine.  I have an ethereal trace of the
Win2K machine connecting and then disconnecting as soon as it got the
NetProt.  This went on for about a day as I intermittently looked at it.

I then changed my Samba server to using encrypted passwords, and was able
to browse the network, although I saw some delays that I have not yet check
out.

I then switched back to non-encrypted passwords, and now, magically, I can
browse the whole network and can browse servers etc. I have rebooted to see
if there is any memory kept unless you reboot.

Now, I would put this down to a one-off glitch, but since I am writing a
chapter about Win2k and Samba for a book on Samba, this has potential for
lots of nastyness.  If people encounter the same problems I did, then they
are not likely to believe the book.

So, what I am interested in knowing is: Has anyone else seen anything like
this with Win2K Rc2?  Does anyone know of any registry settings that might
affect the browsing behaviour etc.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course