file opening problem

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Mon Mar 8 15:55:33 GMT 1999

Molnar Laszlo wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have just installed the samba 2.0.3 to two SGI box. Everything
> looks good with smbclient but with smbsh I can not read files (e.g.
> opening with joe or copy with cp) between the two SGI or between
> any SGI and some win95. However I can make directories in
> smbsh or creating new files. The create mask is 0700.
>
> What can be the problem?
>
> greetings,
>
> Laszlo Molnar

smbsh only works with dynamically linked programs. You can use the
"file" command to see how a program is linked. For example

> file /bin/cp /usr/bsd/rcp
/bin/cp:        ELF 32-bit MSB mips-2 executable MIPS - version 1
/usr/bsd/rcp:   ELF 32-bit MSB mips-2 dynamic executable MIPS - version
1

Notice that cp is not dynamic. Use rcp to copy files instead.

> file /bin/*grep
/bin/egrep:     ELF 32-bit MSB mips-2 dynamic executable MIPS - version
1
/bin/fgrep:     ELF 32-bit MSB mips-2 dynamic executable MIPS - version
1
/bin/grep:      ELF 32-bit MSB mips-2 executable MIPS - version 1

Notice grep is not dynamic, use egrep or fgrep instead.
Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Technical Marketing                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Network Systems Division                     Mountain View, CA  94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177