file opening problem

Steve Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Mon Mar 8 15:49:21 GMT 1999

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Molnar Laszlo wrote:

> I have just installed the samba 2.0.3 to two SGI box. Everything
> looks good with smbclient but with smbsh I can not read files (e.g.
> opening with joe or copy with cp) between the two SGI or between
> any SGI and some win95. However I can make directories in
> smbsh or creating new files. The create mask is 0700.

> What can be the problem?

Can you access the data if you use smbclient? (get)
If you can read data out of the share with smbclient, but not with smbsh, look
for any differences between the options you use.

smbsh works by intercepting syscalls via a wrapper lib.  One problem that
shows up is that static binaries can't see the /smb tree, since there's no way
to filter the syscalls through a dynamic library.  Although, it seems strange
to me that cp and joe would be statically compiled, while mkdir isn't.

-Steve Langasek