[Fwd: USRMGR in W95 since 1998-10-18]

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Thu Oct 29 17:44:38 GMT 1998

Michael Stockman wrote:

> What has happened to NMBD after 1998-10-18? In all CVS updates after
> that usrmgr.exe in W95 has reported that it is unable to find a domain
> controller for the samba controlled domain. The apparent action is
> this:
..
> Everything seems to be the same except for the response packet (I've
> go the old one at the bottom too).
..
> The new packet looks like this:
> [00]  0C 00 45 4D 49 4C 00 00 45 00 4D 00 49 00 4C 00
> "..EMIL..E.M.I.L."
> [10]  00 00 50 00 47 00 4D 00 54 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> "..P.G.M.T......."
> [20]  00 00 00 00  "...."
>
> The old packet looked like this:
> [00]  0C 00 45 4D 49 4C 00  "..EMIL."
>
> Note: EMIL is my samba server and PGMT is my domain.

Luke, this is the unicode change you made to GETDC
in nmbd. Can you (or maybe Gerald?) check that the
change you made in the 2.0 stream still allows Win95/98
machines to work correctly with Samba set up as a Win95
"logon server", not as a PDC.

It is essential we don't ship 2.0 with this feature
broken as this is what most sites use to serve logon
scripts etc.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.