Quibble re faq errors

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Mon Nov 9 18:01:31 GMT 1998

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> David Collier-Brown wrote:
> >
> >         We need a way to say that security = share is old, requires
> >         a dummy account per share, and shared accounts are undesirable
> >         in Unix. The latter **can** raise security concerns. Use
> >         security = user to match the implicit Unix security model.
> >         Then footnote the reason.
> >

> Err - I think I've already done that for Samba2.0 by
> making the default security=user.

	In the sense that people now get the right code (;-))
	The question was really about the truthfullness of
	one of the docs...

> I didn't do that lightly (knowing the number of emails
> we'll get complaining that people can't log on any more
> when the install Samba2.0 over Samba1.9.18 :-).

	Hmmn.  An obvious approach might be to emit a warning
	from testparm, and then arrange for anyone doing an update
	install to **run** testparm. The latter is easy to do
	if you're using "make update" or rpm or the like, hard
	otherwise.

--daveid (who's been promising himself he's going to spend
	some time on analysis of error messages for months) c-b
Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb at hobbes.ss.org, canada.sun.com
N2M 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb