HELP. 2.2.2 PDC with NIS

Whitewolf elric at elric.net
Fri Nov 30 08:53:04 GMT 2001

Ok, I have searched the archives and done numerous trials to get this working and it isn't.

Situation: Linux running NIS (for other Unix systems info, users, automounts etc) which works
just fine. Samba running in Share access mode, using users and unix permissions with plain
text passwords.

Needed: What I need is to have a samba PDC which will use the NIS information for usernames
and passwords for domain authentication. If I use smbpasswd then this will no longer allow the
NIS information to be used.

Has anyone gotten a NIS server to act as the PDC and use the Unix NIS to authenticate users
on the domain? I would like to keep the NIS as it is.. and just add the PDC functions to samba.

I have searched through web pages and archives to no avail. If anyone has an NIS master server
acting as a PDC and using the NIS to authenticate users on the domain please let me know. If
this is NOT possible please let me know.

Thanks for any help...

Brent