Win2KSP2 + hotfixes (pre SP3) - Joining Samba domain RH7.2

Venkat Manakkal venkat at manakkal.com
Fri Nov 30 08:23:01 GMT 2001

Hello Folks,

I am not a list member, but I thought that this will be useful information
to those running Samba PDCs.

I just got a new Dell Win2K box with SP2 installed, I ran all the critical
updates from windowsupdate and tried to add the computer:

I got this error "The following error occurred when joining domain
DOMAINNAME: The account used is a computer account, Use your global user
account or local user account to access this server". When I checked the
PDC, the Linux machine user existed, as well as the smbpasswd user - with
one difference - the SMB user password was set to "NO PASSWORD". Manually
ading the machine did not help.

Puzzled, since I had Win2K SP2 adding to the domain, I messed around with
settings on the Samba server to no avail. Then I tested adding an NT
machine with my original settings on the Samba PDC and it worked smoothly.

I then checked adding another machine which had been running stand alone
with all the critical updates - this machine would not add also.

Checking the added pre-SP3 hotfixes on the new Dell box - I removed the one
and only hotfix (and darn, I did not write down the Q number). The machine
added smoothly after that. So I went back to the other stand alone box
(which had a ton of hot fixes since it was patched via windows update from
the base Win2K), I selected the hotfix that looked closest to the number I
thought I remembered: Q 285851. Reboot, and then the machine added fine. I
re-updated the machines via critical update, and they run fine.

Remember that you need to remove both the Linux machine user "userdel
machine$" and the corresponding line in smbpasswd before re-trying the
machine add.

Reading through the list, it looks like we have some more Windoze
incompatibilities as microsoft continues to fix and break things. I suspect
some of the other errors reported on the list are due to having too
up-to-date a Win2K distro.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Best regards,

---Venkat.

Venkat Manakkal
President,
Manakkal & Associates, Inc.
http://www.manakkal.com/
Tel: 607-546-7300 Fax: 509-471-5693 Cell: 603-321-9870