Problem with profiles win98

Kourosh Ghassemieh kourosh at loop.com
Mon Nov 19 23:32:06 GMT 2001

Those files are the files cached by Internet Explorer.  Each time you use
IE to visit a
web page IE caches that page so it loads faster next time.  Over time the
cache can
grow quite large.  This causes slow logons and logoffs as the info is
copied to/from
the server.  To disable the cache check out these Microsoft Knowledge Base
articles:

How Not to Save Cached Internet Files with Roaming User Profiles (ID: Q185255)

and

How to Prevent Certain Folders from Uploading to Central Profile (ID: Q188692)

I hope this helps.

At 10:48 PM 11/19/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>I've been using Samba v2.0.6 no a RH Linux server for a couple of years as
>a PDC for Windows98 and Windows95 client machines connected on my LAN.  No
>problems until a month ago one of my users complained that it took more
>that five minutes to login to the network.  I started investigating and
>found that every time this user logs into the network, win98 sends a few
>thousand files to this user's profiles on the server.  These files are
>located in:
>
>/home/$user/History/History.IE5
>
>each directory is named:  "MSHist" with long number strings in the sufix
>of the directory name.  In each directory there is a file called:  index.dat.
>
>I have cleaned up all the TEMP directories on the win98 machine and
>deleted these directories off the server.  But when this machine logs into
>the network, it sends the directories to the server again and take a few
>minutes to log into the network.  I cannot find where these files are
>comming from ?  Does anyone know how I can remedy this ?
>
>Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks,
>
>Mark W.

Kourosh Ghassemieh
MindWare Information Systems & Technologies
9255 Sunset Blvd, Penthouse
West Hollywood CA 90069
(310) 729-1784
kourosh at loop.com