Configuring samba as a PDC for our lan

Mitchell mjs at blitz-technology.net
Tue Nov 20 00:40:34 GMT 2001

Hi list.  I am trying to configure Samba to act as a PDC for our LAN.

Server is a Debian Linux system running Samba 2.2.2

Workstations are running Windows 2k Pro SP2.

I want the Samba server to handle authentication for all the clients as well as manage there user profiles etc.

My main question is what do I have to set the OS level too, so as to have the Samba server recognised as the highest
priority server on the lan, and what should the options

Domain Master, Local Master, etc be set to?

Attached below is my smb.conf file.

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = BLITZ
	netbios name = JOLT
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
	max log size = 1000
	socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096
	dns proxy = No
	wins support = Yes
	invalid users = root

[profile]