help w/ samba+win2k

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Mar 26 15:02:23 GMT 2001

Hello Johnathan,
I would highly recommend that you use security=user instead of
security=share.
Samba does a LOT of things in the background to try to authenticate with
security=share, and in addition, with security=share, you are basically
skipping
the whole user authentication thing, and going straight to a treeconnect&X,
where
it is expecting you to give it a password for the SHARE, not the user.
Since you only have 2 machines and the samba server, it should not require a
lot
of admin;
simply:
workgroup= <whatever workgroup your two win2k machines are>  [not required,
but nice]
security=user
encrypt passwords = yes

Then you will need to add the user that you login to the three machines into
the
encrypted smbpasswd file via the command (run from root):
smbpasswd -a username

when it asks for the password, give it the same password as you use on your
user when
you log into bsd.  The reason you have to do this is because the 1 way
encryption that
Microsoft does is different than the 1 way encryption that Unix uses, and
you can't translate back and forth.  When you attach to your home dir from
the win2k clients,
the smbpasswd will be parsed; when you attach via telnet, etc directly to
the bsd box,
the /etc/passwd file will be parsed.
Hope this helps,
Don