nmbd as WINS proxy

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Fri Mar 9 06:50:54 GMT 2001

> Is it in fact possible to set things up so that I can ping a netbios
> name from the linux box?

Not with the wins settings discussed in this thread. They are only
for samba, which is one linux application. To be able to ping with
netbios names you have to get them into "the TCP/IP part of the OS".
May be winbind is what you are looking for, but I'm not sure as I
don't use it. Winbind is still experimental (?).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Christian