Samba2.2alpha1

Eric Pilger pilger at kahana.higp.hawaii.edu
Fri Jan 26 20:46:53 GMT 2001

Jonathan Graham wrote:

> > This is another interesting point. I had ignored the "adduser" parameter altogether
> > because I shouldn't be adding any users at this point in the game. They are supposedly
> > there already. I added it in on someones suggestion, and then noted it failing in the
> > log file. I checked it from the command line and discovered that it is failing because
> > the user which it is trying to add (the machine account), already exists. Why is it
> > trying to add the machine account when it already exists?
>
> I'm assuming here that when one joins the domain the assumption for W2K
> machines is that no Machine account exists.

The FAQ used to very clearly indicate that you had to create the machine account BEFORE
trying to join the domain. It presently is less clear and I am unsure which you're supposed
to do.

I have now tried it without the machine name in /etc/passwd. It now fails because I can't
add a username that ends with $. I try replacing "useradd" with "usermod". This succeeds,
but the join still fails. The log file tells me:

[2001/01/26 10:41:03, 0] rpc_server/srv_netlog.c:get_md4pw(299)
  get_md4pw: Workstation FMISPC$: no account in domain

Well, I'm making some small progress, but not nearly enough...sigh

--
Eric J. Pilger

Systems Administrator

Hawaii Institute of Geophysics and Planetology/SOEST

pilger at pgd.hawaii.edu

(808)956-6321