tdb status?

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Wed Jan 24 12:03:55 GMT 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Axel Thimm wrote:

> I am trying to setup 2.2.0-alpha1. What is the status of tdb therein? If I
> configure --with-tdbpwd then smbpasswd is a tdb file and not smbpasswd.tdb.

Please first of all get the latest CVS version.

this is still experimental, anyway there's not smpasswd text file anymore
when you compile with --with-tdbsam option but if you want to import a
previous text file or to print the contents of the tdb passwd file you
should use the pdbedit utility I've made.

This command will import a text smbpasswd file.
# pdbedit -i /path/to/smbpasswd

This command will print the tdb contents in the smbpasswd format.
# pdbedit -l -w

> What is the concept? Shouldn't there remain a text based smbpasswd for
> compatibility reasons, or shouldn't there be a way to convert from text to tdb
> and backwards? I'd like to periodically check syncronization of unix and Samba
> users.
>
> Other than reading the source, is the new tdb philosophy documented somewhere
> (which files etc.)?

Basically tdb is meant to control more user parameters than the old
smbpasswd file as in user manager for winnt and also speed up data
lookup with the tdb database.
Unfortunately no documentation is still available.

--
Simo Sorce - Linux Systems Consultant
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel: +39 0348 7149179 - Fax: +39 02 700442399