Profiles, roaming and roving profiles

Armand Welsh armand at welshhome.org
Thu Jan 11 16:17:26 GMT 2001

there are essentially three types of profiles for NT

Local, Roaming, & Mandatory

Microsoft defines them as:
(see Microsoft KnowledgeBase articles Q161334, Q185587, Q185588, Q185589,
Q158590,Q185591 - Guide To Windows NT 4.0 Profiles and Policies (Parts
1-6) )

Local Profile
A local profile is specific to a computer. A user who has a local profile
on a particular computer can gain access to that profile only while logged
on to that computer.

Roaming Profile
A roaming profile is stored on a network share and can be accessed from
any computer. A user who has a roaming profile can log on to any computer
for which that profile is valid and access the profile. (Note that a
profile is only valid on the platform for which it was created-for
example, a Windows NT 4.0 profile cannot be used on a Windows 95
computer.)

Mandatory Profile
A mandatory profile is a preconfigured roaming profile that the user
cannot change. In most cases, these are assigned to a person or a group of
people for whom a common interface and standard configuration is required.

A Roaving profile doesn't exist.  So I can't tell you what samba defines it
as.