I give up

Kat kathee at ezunx.com
Thu Feb 15 19:17:20 GMT 2001

Hmm, on my first try I removed Windows NT and 2000 Domain controllers,
replaced with Samba 2.2, added all win2K and NT and 98 clients. Profiles
worked beautifully. Printing works better and faster than before. (I use
CUPs)

I am using 2.2 as DC's and on all the other file servers, running 2.07
which works like a champ.  Using with reiserFS/striped file systems and
the speed is wonderful for my users.  They asked after the conversion
if we bought new 'super servers'.  Funny thing is the new file servers
have P2's and the only windows 2K boxes have P3's.  The P3's are being
converted to user desktops.

I guess I can understand frustration levels, as I have felt it before,
but "giving up" should never be an option.  Unless someone says flat
out that what you want to do can't be done.

I have now converted 3 companies (largest has 75 users) to running a 100%
samba/linux environment.  CLients of course are W2K and NT.. The love
the speed and the systems have been rock solid with no lockups or any
problems, unlike W2K advanced server which locked up 3 times in the
first week they went to it.

Either do, or do not, there is no try. To 'try' assumes failure...

Cheers
Kathee