Caution Stoopid Newbie

Eric Mercer emercer at rad.upenn.edu
Wed Apr 4 15:56:08 GMT 2001

Mark Haney wrote:

> > But the point is Samba 2.0.7 CAN do central authentication. One Samba
> server
> > that all file servers, email servers, squid servers, etc . use for
> > user/password authentication.
>
> By acting as an NT PDC perhaps?  I still stand by my original statement
> 2.0.x isn't stable enough to do that.  Believe me, I tried for over a month
> one time to do that and never had enough uptime to feel comfortable.

Experiences vary.  While 2.0.7 doesn't support the complete set of
features which are part of being a NT domain controller, I have set up
several NT domains using 2.0.7, and they've continued running with very
few problems.  Users can log in, download policies, use printers, access
their home directory, and use a roaming profile.  Most of the problems
I've had to deal with are related to the way MS implemented networking.

Of course, I'm not exactly a newbie.  I've been using Samba for a long
time.  Switched from DEC Pathworks to Samba & haven't looked back ;-)
Everything is easy once you know how to do it.

I had a really rough time with the first Samba Domain controller I set
up, but I think most of my problems were related to getting pre-alpha
code to compile.  I also didn't have all the great FAQs which are
available now.