Caution Stoopid Newbie

McEldowney, Michael MMcEldowney at deltaregional.com
Wed Apr 4 14:51:47 GMT 2001

I'm using 2.0.7, so this may not pertain to your 2.0.6.  That said...

The way to do this is:

in smb.conf set these options -

workgroup = {whatever you want to name your domain}
domain logons = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
wins support = yes

restart smbd and nmbd to make the changes take affect, and you should be
able to set up the Win98 boxes to logon to the domain you named in the
"workgroup=" line.

Let me know if you have any trouble.  I would suggest moving up to
version 2.0.7.  You can get it in an RPM which doesn't need compiling
and makes it super easy to install.

Mike