Caution Stoopid Newbie

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Wed Apr 4 15:40:49 GMT 2001

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Mark Haney wrote:

> > But the point is Samba 2.0.7 CAN do central authentication. One Samba
> server
> > that all file servers, email servers, squid servers, etc . use for
> > user/password authentication.
>

> By acting as an NT PDC perhaps?  I still stand by my original statement
> 2.0.x isn't stable enough to do that.  Believe me, I tried for over a month
> one time to do that and never had enough uptime to feel comfortable.

You are wrong.
Samba 2.0.7 is quite stable and support NT domains.
It is just limited in what it support about domains.
If you need a domain only to centralize users logon, samba is good enough
and with pam_smb it may be used to centralize also authentication
services.

If you need it for other reasons (eg. for exchange) then samba 2.0.7 isn't
enough and you need to experiment with the 2.2.x alpha code branch.

--
Simo Sorce - Linux Systems Consultant
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel: +39 0348 7149179 - Fax: +39 02 700442399