reason we(you) cant keep using Samba

Joe Rhett jrhett at isite.net
Thu Oct 5 20:52:37 GMT 2000

1) I used to contribute time & effort to Samba. I used to sit and work with
a sniffer long before NT's protocol toy was released. Yet when I reported
and demonstrated problems in the implemention, Jeremy would make smart
remarks about "who would need that"? and other randomness.

I did end up chatting directly with another developer for some time, but
sending things to the samba list (it was only one at the time) was useless.

2) I spent about 140 hours once updating the Samba docs. I sent the patches
in and didn't get a single reply. When I sent in a comment about that,
Jeremy responded that my notes were useless, it wasn't made for people who
didn't know what they were doing.

Over 80% of my changes were updates to bring the docs in line with recent
code releases, and to fix errata or completely undocumented stuff. This was
back in the says when Samba released often, sometimes back-to-back.

3) I was part of a group that suggested, then offered a plan for commercial
support of Samba. We had Sun, HP & IBM ready to put cash into this for
source code rights. Andrew had a really bad taste for this and wanted to keep
it developed on personal time. His choice, but it means that we can't
contribute money to aid development.

So unlike your ignorant self, I have contributed roughly 800 hours of my
time and even put my money where my mouth was.

Can all those idiots who really think that we should just shut up and
accept whatever is handed to us please redirect their replies to /dev/null ?
Open source projects don't work without community input, regardless of what
Jeremy may think. If the Samba team would ever lose the useless, irrelevant
"who cares?" attitude of several members, they'd get a lot farther.

And before you say that we can take the code and run with it, duh - I know
that. But there isn't a better team out there with the time to do it that
I've seen. Luke is damn good at protocol/implementation analysis, but his
code isn't up to providing the backbone of the project. He knows this, or
he would have take the split and run with it. I don't have the time to be a
primary contributor (my strength is in testing and implementation issues).
So, no, I don't have a team to do it better. Doesn't mean that it shouldn't
be done better.

--
Joe Rhett                                         Chief Technology Officer
JRhett at ISite.Net                                      ISite Services, Inc.

PGP keys and contact information:          http://www.noc.isite.net/Staff/